Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sweet and Lowdown (Woody Allen, 1999)

To be frank, I can't stand Woody Allen. I don't like his frustrations about him being a Jew, having an ongoing problem with women, his mother's complex etc etc. I know that some artists keep re-inviting themsleves and returning to the same themes but in his case this shit is so ridiculous that it stopped being funny sometime before I was even born.

But for every rule there's an exception that confirms it! When I talk to my friends about Woody Allen, most of them (after endless pointless arguing and argumentation) eventually agree with me (probably just to keep me of their back) but still they usually ask me the same question: "But, surely, at least you do like Zelig or Everything you always wanted to know about sex, don't you?!" And my answer is always the same: "Fuck that, the only Woody Allen movie for me is Sweet and Lowdown!"

To put it in one word, it is simply FUNNY! And what's there not be liked about a depression era period documentary(?) about a drunken, obnoxious, overly-talented (but not as much as Django Reinhardt!!!) jazz guitarist (part time pimp) who takes his dates to a dumpster to shoot rats(!) and exploits his deaf girlfriend? Great jokes and one of the Sean Penn's best performances ever! 

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment