Monday, July 16, 2012

She, a Chinese (Xiaolu Guo, 2009)

I like movies that are about something, basically anything. I don't really care about the genre or the stars or about the budget or the language or anything. Even if the subject it's not interesting to me, I'll watch it out of curiosity. Even better if there's some sex and violence...

This festival arty sleeper is about the chick who likes her iPod and who likes men. And in my book this means it's about nothing because this is like 99% of people I know. So they could've easily skipped that "Chinese" in the title and named this simply "She".

And we follow her through her relationships with four men (all wrong for her of course) on her voyage from some god forsaken village in China to London. It's not bad and has certain feel about it but it is certainly not very good. Episode with an older English man who marries her is total miss and gives the flick totally unrealistic angle.

But leading actress Lu Huang is kind of cute and she saves the movie to some point.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment