Tuesday, May 29, 2012

La captive aka The Captive (Chantal Akerman, 2000)


Strange one as one would expect from Mrs. Akerman. I find her experimental stuff from 70s infinite boring and pretentious and hardly watchable. But hell, that was 30+ years ago and it’s time to give her another chance right?

According to credits this one was inspired by Marcel Proust book but I’m pretty sure Marcel made it easier to follow. I’m not sure I got everything right, but will give it a try and summarize it. It’s about this rich and slightly confused guy Simon suffering from some kind of allergy (which is probably just metaphor for his impotence and/or jealousy) who keeps his girlfriend Ariane as a kind of captive in this big mansion. Since she’s also a bit weird we are not sure if he’s just obsessed with her or actually has reasons to be jealous or is just puzzled of her being a lesbian or what. But it has somehow happy ending, at least I think so…

This is typical arty stuff I usually loathe, but for some reason it’s strangely compelling and really watchable. Relationship between our two protagonists is so strange and tense that makes story unpredictable. It’s beautifully shot and staged and has few other odd characters and situations (the singing scene, wtf!?). There are also some new wave-ish funny dialogues and one-liners like “But what's two lies? Give me at least four. Then maybe I'll believe you.

And of course it’s always nice to see Sylvie Testud, she’s great! Nice surprise was also Olivia Bonamy. Must admit I don’t recall her from other movies, but according to the IMDB she has been in few recent mainstream films and is far from being unknown.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment