Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Peur(s) du Noir aka Fear(s) of the Dark (Blutch, Charles Burns, Marie Caillou, Pierre Di Sciullo, Lorenzo Mattotti, Richard McGuire, 2007)


I was a bit disappointed with this one to be honest. Most of the stories are pretty weird (which is of course good) but hard to follow. I don’t know, maybe I didn’t get it because I had fuckin’ toothache and couldn’t really concentrate as much as I should. 

Also wasn’t too impressed with animation techniques with an exception of story of that old aristocratic bastard chasing people with those wild dogs (yeah, fucker got what he deserved at the end!) It’s drawn really wildly with unsettling movements and weird shadings. And it matches story perfectly because it’s really scary and not creepy as the other ones.

Also worth mentioning are off screen narrated descriptions of what makes us fear the night with some weird animated shapes. Lots of them are pretentious arty crap you don’t even try to understand, but there are few cool and funny ones:

  •  I'm afraid it would be hard for me to prove the superiority of Western civilization to an Afghan villager who's watching TV with me.
  •  I'm afraid I would contempt all those who are different too easily. And because I don't accept myself as I am, that poses a problem. Because those who resemble me, depress me, and that gives me a negative image.
  •  I'm afraid I won't be really useful just one time in my life. For example to make clear to a racist, to a single racist that it's cowardly, dumb and mean to be a racist.
5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment