Sunday, April 15, 2012

Leprechaun in the Hood (Rob Spera, 2000)


Needed something honestly dumb to wash off that stank of Haneke so I went for 5th Leprechaun. Watched the first one few months ago (as a part of my getting to know Irish folklore, make no mistake) and it was pretty bad so I expected something five times worse than that. But worse in the good kind of way, of course. I mean – just the idea about putting that little fucker into LA South Central is totally mental (though still not as crazy as Billy the Kid vs. Dracula).

But it turned out to be really pleasant surprise and total joy to watch. Yes it is crazy, but at the same time strangely appealing and I think the entire crew had great time making this. It qualifies into this horror/comedy genre that it’s been so popular since (at least) Shaun of the Dead. Usually I can’t stand these flicks because they target juvenile and family audiences, but this one has plenty of swearing and some gore to deserve its 18 rating.

So we are in the hood following these three rappers trying to make it big and in the process avoiding getting killed from the Ice-T and especially our little bastard hero whom original gangster has stolen his pot of gold and magical flute. Ice-T, after fucking up so many movies, is actually decent in this one, but the real star is Leprechaun. He soon blends into this gangsta-rap-hood crap and by the end of the movie he’s smoking weed and has three beautiful chicks bringing him women and his rapping at theending just leaves you speechless.

Here are some of his wisdoms:
·         A friend with weed, is a friend, indeed. But, a friend with gold, is the best, I’m told. (when smoking weed)
·         Look at all these glittering goods - I've got more loot than Tiger Woods!
·         I didn’t come to play with fruit. I only seek me magic flute. (when being seduced by transvestite)
·         I'll take it from you, homie, you'll see, cause you know the Leprechaun is the real O.G.

And this kind of shit goes on and on. Some funny, most hilarious.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment