Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mikaël aka Michael (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1924)


One of the reasons why I like silent movies is that you really need to participate in the watching, otherwise you can miss something really quickly. Unfortunately, this is exactly what happened to me during Michael. It is a story between older painter and his young model, which falls for some young countess. During this, there’s another subplot involving Lucy (is she a daughter of that art dealer?) and one duel that I didn’t get at all.

But anyway, it’s a cool movie. I was a bit disappointed with an ending because I thought (was hoping) that the old guy would kick Michael’s ass sometime, but then he just died. Also couldn’t register those homosexual hints and innuendos between the two (for which this movie is known apparently). I just thought he was his adopted son and that’s it. 

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment